[OSM-talk] Some question about OSM

Joerg Ostertag openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Fri Jun 30 10:21:15 BST 2006

On Friday 30 June 2006 10:51, Nicola Ranaldo wrote:
> I'm writing a qt4-based OSM client in order to render maps and doing route
> planning with speech instructions (festival).

<Just a thought from the gpsdrive maintainer>
I know qt-4 might be more convinient, but what about helping getting gpsdrive
better?
</Just a thought from the gpsdrive maintainer>

> It has some basic editing
> capabilities too.  Depending on my free time, when the code will be cleaned
> and optimized, i'll release it under gpl.
> While approaching i collected some technical questions for you:
>
> *) wiki says a segment could belong to several ways, is there a specific
> reason for that?

Example:
 Segment x in in way a and is tagged as tram line
 Segment x in in way b and is tagged as Street with width 4 lanes

> *) osmplanet data seems to contains some dirty informations, tests,
> orphaned objects and so on... is it normal?

I think with a base of 4000 individuals editing a dataset this is normal. Yes
it is not really wanted, but I think it just happens.
I already wrote some scripts to find some of these things. You can see the
results at:
http://www.ostertag.name/osm/index.html

> *) wath's the best approach to do street and place names rendering?
> disposition of text will be evaluated by software in real-time? will be
> some key/value helping rendering software ? (for example, a tag could say
> render this town names at x,y, or <important> do not render it when scale >
> z and so on)

I think that's what the Display software has to decide from the tags. For
example
  highway=motorway will be rendered from scale 1:1000 .. 1:200000000000
  highway=footpath will be rendered from scale 1:1000 .. 1:2000
and so on.
A small start for this can be seen in the gpsdrive source.

> *) do you think distibuting (with zone delegation ala DNS) database may be
> an idea (with rest api modifications) ?

This doesn't sound like a good idea to me. But maybe I didn't understand it.

> *) a stupid question, some segments have k="highway" v="primary", and
> others k="class" v="primary"... is it normal?

Yes we already had lengthly discussions about that. This is still a point to
get streight in the Database. That's also another thing which make good
rendering of the Data difficult.

--

Jörg

http://www.ostertag.name/