[OSM-talk] Geographic names and lat/long pairs

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Wed Mar 1 10:24:53 GMT 2006

Hi,

> Is there a way that this could/should be uploaded to the OSM server? Kept
> up-to-date on a monthly basis, without

What about if OSM does not added the data to its own database. We could
instead write a proxy server that read the input data and output OSM
format which can be layered (added transparently) to the osm data on
demand.

I think this is a good way to go for many other data sources, as example
the world elevation database or different local (but free) vector
databases.

The main advantage of this is that osm does not need to update, store and
process the data.

The main disadvantage is, that modifying the data within OSM could be tricky.

What do you think?

Ciao, Imi.