[OSM-talk] Guardian campaign to release UK government data

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu Mar 9 19:52:16 GMT 2006

Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> Give us back our crown jewels
>
> Our taxes fund the collection of public data - yet we pay again
> to access it. Make the data freely available to stimulate
> innovation, argue Charles Arthur and Michael Cross
>
> http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1726229,00.html

Interesting.  When they write "One government makes the data it
collects available free to all: the United States" it made me
think about the road tolls recently introduced in London and
Stockholm to fight traffic congestion.  The message is clear:
"There are too many of us here.  Stay out and go somewhere else!"

As if Swedish taxes weren't high enough already, they also
introduce road tolls and they charge for governmental map data.
That says: This country has too many innovative people already,
the rest should better leave for America!  Go west, young man!

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)