[OSM-talk] Label Ontology Version 1.0

Simon Hewison simon at zymurgy.org
Sun Mar 12 20:16:37 GMT 2006

Etienne Cherdlu wrote:
> So far I've been using the following:
>
> For segments:
> class=motorway|primary|secondary
> For nodes:
> class=city|town|village
>
> I'll document these formally somewhere.  As you say, its up to the
> client tool builders to decide what they support.

For class of segments, I've also seen residential used, so I've started
to use it. A typical residential street is narrow, probably has cars
parked both sides, and route planning software should normally
de-preference the route unless it's actively trying to go there.

Defining as residential means that map rendering software might put a
thick greyish border around the roads, making a built-up area more
obvious, if you're not referencing landsat, until we can get area support.

--
Simon Hewison