[OSM-talk] Please do not tag streets (yet).

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Mon Mar 13 15:51:25 GMT 2006

On 3/13/06, Andy Robinson <Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Tom Carden wrote:
> >Sent: 13 March 2006 14:36
> >To: talk at openstreetmap.org
> >Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Please do not tag streets (yet).
> >

> >Conversion from segments to streets should be a short-term focused
> >activity (a new WikiProject?) and when it's done these tools should be
> >phased out.  It shouldn't be possible to create segments that aren't
> >part of a street.
>

> So how do you create segments if you don't know what the way is? eg if you
> edit some GPS data that someone else uploaded. Or would it just receive a
> default empty way name?

Yeah, you create streets instead, which of course could be composed of
only one segment.

> >Any thoughts?
>
> That's fine for segments with any sort of a tag but I have created thousands
> of segments which currently have no tags whatsoever. So I don't see any easy
> way to convert these to individual ways unless it's done manually.

That's why I asked for your thoughts :)  Sounds like we need analogous
processes to the ones I described above, but where the 'seed' segments
can be picked manually too.

Also sounds like we're about to revisit the selection model
conversation again shortly.

FWIW, I am hoping for something like windows text-box selection - e.g.
single click select a segment, double click select a block, triple
click select all connected segments.  And then something like file
explorer modifiers: single click select a node, shift-click (de)select
shortest path range between current segment and previous selection,
ctrl-click to add/remove individual segments from the current
selection.

But I note that JOSM's selection model and street drawing model seemed
pretty intuitive when I last tried it, so I'm sure we're in good
hands.  (Any news on GUI toolkit etc.?)

Tom.

PS sorry for double reply Andy. Chalk me up in favour of reply-to
munging, if anyone's keeping count.