[OSM-talk] The gui for the applet

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Tue Mar 14 16:56:51 GMT 2006

Hi,

so what do you think how the applet should allow to add streets?
It should be at least
- easy
- quick
- simple
- usable for 95% of the cases

My current main ideas (with all their flaws) are:

1) Click on the starting point, then zoom around until you find your final
point and click again. Street is drawn at the shortest path from start to
end.
If the starting/ending point is the starting/ending point of an existing
street, the user is given the option to add the new path to the street,
instead of creating a new one.

This sounds cool, but could lead to a flood of histories for newly created
ways (since user may click, click, click its path by hand).

2) Click every line segment you want to have in the way. A click selects
an unselected or deselect an already selected segment. Then finally click
on some button to create a way out of all clicked segments.

3) Combination of 1 and 2, where the user clicks on nodes and the shortest
path between the nodes get selected. Click on an segment will
select/deselect it as in 2. Finally the user clicks on a "submit" - like
button to just create the street.

When we are speaking of "submit"/"preview" buttons... I like them in a
normal wiki, but Steve told me everyone hate them and everyone wanted to
have their changes immediatly shown in some kind, but since this is harder
for textual editors, they have to live with the hated submit/preview...

What do you say?

Ciao, Imi.