[OSM-talk] SVG from OpenStreetMap

Jim Ley jim at jibbering.com
Fri Mar 17 14:23:35 GMT 2006

"Tom Carden" <tom at tom-carden.co.uk> wrote in message
news:16e8cf860603170501o269069f1p9bcabdcc441d0bb4 at mail.gmail.com...
>There's no reason I can think of not to put an XSL style sheet
>directly into the OSM API output, and link to it from the map viewer
>for the current bounding box.  The only thing I'm not sure about is
>how easy it is to save the resulting SVG (I had to use the 'copy XML'
>option from the DOM inspection tool) and if it's ever going to work in
>other browsers.

client-side xslt is really slow, I'd rather see the conversion on the
server - this would have a few benefits, the svg would work in Opera/Adobe
SVG viewer (in IE)/KSVG/Mobile SVG renderers and would be trivially
saveable - of course it would cost yet more server load :-(

It looks, very, very good though - I can see some missing roads - also of
note - how do you mark a barrier that  you can drive through during some
parts of the day (as is the case of one of the missing roads)

Cheers,

Jim.