[OSM-talk] Using maps produced from OSM data

Colin Mackay colin.mackay at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 20:48:03 GMT 2006

I'm just wondering about using the maps using OSM data. I'm also the
webmaster of my local Toastmasters <http://www.toastmasters.org/>group (Capital
Communicators <http://www.capcom.freeuk.com/>) and I'm about to embark on a
redesign of the website. My plan it to include a map to our meeting place
(I've almost finished "surveying" that area of Edinburgh) but I'm concerned
that the *Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0* means I have to turn
the whole website over to that license (the licence says "you may distribute
the resulting work only under a licence identical to this one.").

I read some discusson (or maybe a brief mention) on moving the OSM data
license to CC-BY (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/) somewhere,
but I can't seem to find that at the moment. If it is up for discussion then
I'm in favour because I think the ShareAlike aspect is restrictive -
Companies won't use the data because they mostly won't want to share it (the
derivative work may include trade secrets) and academics, who are most
likely to share the results of their derivation, would still share the
results.

Regards,
Colin.