[OSM-talk] Using maps produced from OSM data

Mon Mar 20 21:45:10 GMT 2006

Etienne wrote:

> IANAL but I'm pretty sure in this case that the derivative work is the
> image file, not the content of your web-site.

Hm... as some of you know, I've been wondering for a while about
exactly how far a 'derivative work' extends.

I noticed Imi posted an explanation to the Wiki FAQ page, which is good
- much better to be unambiguous. And Tom posted a lucid comment on my
blog where I was musing on the same issue. But I'm still unsure as to
where the boundary lies when it's not a simple JPEG-in-HTML case.

Here's four stages of the same thing:
http://www.systemeD.net/stuff/sharealike/

Could I ask for some views/consensus on where the boundary lies?

(Much more fun than all of this... I cycled 100 miles at the weekend
along National Cycle Network route 4, with GPS on handlebars. OSM is a
great excuse to discover interesting parts of the country!)

yours sounding increasingly like a stuck record,
Richard ;)