[OSM-talk] Coastlines

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Mar 21 20:17:28 GMT 2006

Simon Hewison wrote:

> If someone wants to lend me a light aircraft with proper aerial 
> photography gear, and fuel it, I'd be happy to fly it straight 
> and level over the Isle of Wight a few times.

In Sweden you need a special permit for doing aerial photography 
and mapping based on that.  And the government authority where you 
apply for this permit is the national ordnance survey.  (So they 
have the power to veto any upcoming competitors.)

The current Swedish law is from 1993 (after the fall of the Soviet 
Union) and much relaxed, compared to earlier conditions, 

Is this completely unregulated in the U.K.?  What about other 

Maybe we should try to get a permit.  And if it is denied, perhaps 
we can take this to the E.U. for blocking fair competition.

  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
  Aronsson Datateknik - http://aronsson.se

More information about the talk mailing list