[OSM-talk] OSM on Garmin

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Mar 23 12:35:49 GMT 2006

Sorry, forget that message, I had the case of one of the characters wrong.

I did something similar on Freemap a while back, writing a more involved
.mp file which displayed roads and paths differently. However it should
become much more automatic in the near future. The guy who develops
cgpsmapper is going to apparently release cgpsmapper and sendmap in library
form, so it will be possible to write a 'one pot' script which converts OSM
data to the .img file format in one go, without the intermediate step of
the .mp  file. In other words, a user should be able to click a "Make GPS
map" link, select some options and prepare a custom .img file which they
can then upload to their GPS.

This is subject to the terms and conditions of Stan, the cGPSmapper
developer: I would need to check that he is happy for his libraries to be
used in a web environment. I think he's happy as long as they're being used
in an open-source, non-commercial environment.

Nick