[OSM-talk] Invisible waypoints

Andrew Findlay andrew at findlay.org
Sat Mar 25 13:44:38 GMT 2006

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:45:32PM +0000, SteveC wrote:

> > I am working on uploading my first few traces to OSM, and having
> > problems with waypoints. I use a Garmin Geko 201, and have carefully
> > set waypoint markers at path junctions and points of interest but they
> > do not show up in the web-based editor.
>
> Ages ago we had a bit of a debate about this, and it seemed that
> surveying at that level was slow and painful compared to just tracklogs.

It does add to the time taken, but I am working on footpaths at the
moment and it is really useful to have markers at each junction -
especially as the current batch of tracks relate to areas on the other
side of the world from where I live and I did not have time to walk
every linking track!

> FWIW I hate the geko's waypoint UI, it's slow as hell. It has a massive
> tracklog size, you should be able to store 3 hours at 1 point / sec

Very tedious, and limited to six-character names. Easy to create
numeric waypoints though, so a notebook and pencil may be the
solution!

I get the feeling that the Geko distills the tracklog into a more
compact form when you store it internally - I am certainly not seeing
one point per second! In fact I got the whole of my 3-week walking
holiday in there somehow... When I edit the tracks it looks as if it
has only stored the main change of direction points.

I have so far failed to make the OSM tools read the un-saved active
tracklog.

Andrew