[OSM-talk] Re: Isle of Wight and PhotoMap

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Sat Mar 25 18:24:18 GMT 2006

On 3/25/06, Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/25/06, Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I'm interested in complete flickr mapping of all IoW photos, however infringing, but seperate from the OSM database. I'd think we only need to be careful when it comes to using those photos for street signs, etc.
>
> I would recomend opening up a FTP server somewhere for uploading
> images, or perhaps just uploading them to the Wiki. If tou want to use
> flickr, you would have to buy the pro version of flickr which is €20,
> in the free version you only have 20MB upload per month.

That's a fair point.

Of course for those who don't want to use Flickr, there are a
multitude of other options for sharing photos.  I happen to like
Flickr, and would recommend its use simply because of the robust and
reliable groups and tagging features, and the API of course.

For those who don't already have pro accounts, 20Mb would be more than
enough for experimenting with aggregating and geotagging photos of the
event, which is what both Mikel and I are interested in doing.  You
don't have to store the full size version which comes out of the
camera.

Tom.