[OSM-talk] ANNOUNCE: OSMF

Ben Gimpert ben at somethingmodern.com
Thu Mar 30 10:10:24 BST 2006

At this early stage in OSM's development, I'm incredibly sceptical of
"design by committee" and tyranny of the majority.  Further, since Steve
already "walks the talk" of benevolent despotism, the foundation model
sounds best to me.

Personally, I would happily give the typical 5-10 GBP per month if:

* The total pool of funds is made transparent, as well as the
  proportional contribution of those funders who do not choose to remain
  anonymous.

* At least 50% of the funds are spent directly on OSM development,
  ideally in the manner of an auction, initially with most of the
  auctions being Trac bugfixes probably won by Steve and Mikel and Imi.
  Development pay should be on a "contract" basis, with the foundation
  being the final authority on determining when a contract is
  "finished."

* No more than 35% should be spent on OSM server hardware and hosting.
  Note that none of this money should go to buying cool GPS toys to
  encourage grassroots-ness.  It would then cease to be grassroots.

* The remaining money could go to "publicity" or "outreach" or whatever
  else the foundation thinks is supplementary to the real effort.

Though I would debate adjusting the percentages, I think it critically
important that real development effort be prioritized *explicitly* in
the foundation's paperwork.

Oh and I would not give a single pence if I have to go to meetings,
voting boards, pow-wows, peace rallies, etc.  All I want is the ability
to accurately monitor -- *without* a mandate to control -- how my money
is being spent.

		Hoping to be hands-off monetary OSM angel,
		Ben