[OSM-talk] postcode idea

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 30 10:49:22 BST 2006

Nick Hill wrote:
>Sent: 30 March 2006 10:22
>To: SteveC
>Cc: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] postcode idea
>
>I think most people have lists of addresses they have compiled, or we
>could probably get databases of addresses off-copyright. I know I
>personally have at least 100 addresses, possibly many more than 1000 if
>I start searching. I have probably 3000 items of correspondence stacked
>up and I won't burn them if I think we could use the data.
>
>When I sell items on-line, people send me their address and postcode. I
>suppose this could be used.
>
>Anyone who is or has been in business probably has substantial address
>records.

err.. be very careful here of the Data Protection Act! You have effectively
collected personal data so what you can use that data for depends upon what
the person giving you that data was told originally and accepted you would
do with it. If you have no data protection registration you may be treading
on thin ice too.

I have several large sets of membership databases containing the personal
address details for members. But the data protection statement that goes to
members does not permit me to use that data on OSM or in fact for anything
other than the purposes of membership.