[OSM-talk] postcode idea

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Mar 31 10:31:10 BST 2006

This is a good point. How does Royal Mail differentiate in their postcode
database between a block area which has a common postcode and a specific
address which has a unique postcode. As far as I can tell everything is
based around areas but that the reference to that area is a point, does
anyone know any different?

For OSM I personally think that postal codes can fit any of the node,
segment, way or area features in the database. We are not necessarily trying
to replicate a postal code database but rather provide postal code
information for OSM database features.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Robinson