[OSM-talk] Results of Saturday's Mapping

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Mon May 8 10:15:43 BST 2006

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Johansson" <erjohan at gmail.com>
To: "Talk Openstreetmap" <talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2006 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Results of Saturday's Mapping

I'm guessing it's from Richard Fairhurst post:

"The outline was traced from an out-of-copyright map, then manually
orthorectified, and finally converted from OSGB to lat/long"

saludos Erik Johansson

Yes, I took it from the data posted at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Isle_of_Wight_Coastline

I found I had to shift the coordinates very slightly in order to agree to
what I believed the correct position of the coastline, mainly from how roads
close to the coast appeared in relation to the original data.  This was not
an exact science, but was done just to get something to use for the weekend

David

On 5/7/06, Dan Karran <dan at karran.net> wrote:
> Looks pretty impressive to me. Did you guys pull in the coastline data
> from somewhere else, or is it just drawn from the Landsat imagery?
>

> Cheers,
> Dan
>
> On 5/7/06, Nick Burch <openstreetmap at gagravarr.org> wrote:
> > We've pulled together all the traces from yesterday (and a couple from
> > people who turned up even earlier). We think it's all quite impressive,
> > but you can decide for yourself:
> >
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:IoW_Mapping_day1.jpg
> >
> > Nick

> --