[OSM-talk] Re: OSM hardware?

AsmodeusB asmodeusb at gmail.com
Wed May 10 02:02:21 BST 2006

> * nslu2  €70
> * usb flash memory €50
> * power adaptor for a car €2.5-€25
> * USB GPS receiver  €50
>
> That's at worst €200 to make a very high capacity (a year) GPS logger
> for you car...

 I use a slug, Globalsat BU-353 receiver and an external USB harddrive
under Debian.
On boot, gpsd and gpspipe start logging the tracks, and I modified a
perl script I found in
the wiki (can't find it now) to work with the latest gpsd-format
output, and convert it to gpx.

 Without any kind of buffering, I would think that a flash-based drive
would hit its write
lifetime fairly quickly.

I've noticed lately that I'll have to throw on ntpd (synced to the
shared-memory gpsd output)
in order to keep the time on the slug somewhere near accurate.  I've
had a couple days
where it thought it was June already.