[OSM-talk] Linky to geograph/OSGB

Fri May 12 16:43:51 BST 2006

Quoting Oliver White <streetmap at blibbleblobble.co.uk>:

> You mean the OS maps might become infected by the CC sharealike license if
> they're combined with geograph photos?
>
> Interesting idea.

Hmm, not thought of that! Yes, definitely an interesting idea.

I was actually thinking the other way round. Currently Geograph
provides a georeferencing feature via our old, out-of-copyright friend
the New Popular Edition. So when you use the NPE maps to say that
"this one's at 470233,289715, facing north-east", the copyright in
that belongs to you and you can licence it however you like.

As soon as the new OS maps come on stream, OS gets a stake in that
copyright. It's the old "why don't you just create OSM by clicking on
Google Maps?" FAQ. It means that Geograph-as-a-whole can't be
CC-licensed, though individual photos and NPE-derived georeferences
can be.

But to be fair, they already encourage people to do the whole
click-on-Multimap-and-get-your-coordinates thing, so the existing
data's probably not "clean" anyway:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/submit.php?gridreference=TL9898

(Incidentally, I don't want to sound like I'm getting at Geograph -
it's a super site.)

Richard