[OSM-talk] "Snap to Road"

Martin Thierer martin at bangaroo.net
Mon May 15 14:11:44 BST 2006

> > I've just noticed my GPS had the "snap to road" option turned on.
> > Would this make the data created from those GPX traces illegal/against
> > copyright?
> >
> > It doesn't have many roads around here but its just for discussion.
>
> That will probably apply only to the on-screen marker (arrow, stick man,
> whatever) rather than tracklogs, but probably worth checking by walking
> parallel, but about 15 metres, to a known mapped road, and see what the
> tracklog looks like. What model GPS is it?

At least on my Garmin Etrex Vista "snap to road" also implies that the
tracklogs are corrected to be on the roads.

To use such trackslogs is not only bad because I think that this indeed is a
copyright infringement, I also sometimes found the roads from Garmin
Mapsource to be not so accurate. Even worse, the "snap to road" algorithm
sometimes misses branches and follows the old road for some time until it
realizes that the branch was taken.

Bye

Martin