[OSM-talk] Copyright of old (Irish) maps

Robert Scott lists at riscott.ukfsn.org
Tue May 16 01:12:06 BST 2006

On Monday 15 May 2006 22:36, Christian van den Bosch wrote:
> To me, this seems very strange; I would have presumed that once
> copyright expires, it's expired for good.
>
> Anyone care to give an opinion on this?

In the bizarre world of copyright law, merely the act of scanning the map in
(and correcting & retouching areas) creates a 'new work'. Albeit one derived
from public domain data.

This is why when you get a CD of old jazz, it's not public domain because the
distributor owns the copyright over 1) the compilation and 2) the digital
conversion (and 'remastering').

robert.