[OSM-talk] Re: One way streets

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Tue May 16 21:14:42 BST 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 09:54:32PM +0200, Raphael Jacquot wrote:
> Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> >Raphael wrote:
> >
> >>that's totally unuseable from a machine's point. it has no
> >>understanding of north or south or whatever. all it knows is, we have
> >>a segment with 2 points, and you can go from a to b and / or from b to a
> >

> >if segment.node1.long > segment.node2.long { direction=east }
> >else     { direction=west }
> >
> >...surely?
> >
> >I'm tempted to agree with Oliver. The danger of having 'one way'
> >dependent on the direction of the segment is that, if a segment is
> >accidentally reversed, the data becomes wrong. Having 'oneway=NE', or
> >whatever, is independent of this.

> besides, this is totally stupid for everywhere else where streets are
> not in a nice grid setting. like if a street describes a nice large
> curve, it won't work

So long as a curve is always heading in a northern direction, it
certainly does.

\

/

It would mean that you couldn't desecribe a one way circle this way:
  _
 / \
|   |
 \_/

but certainly a one way circle is probably going to be a relatively
uncommon case in roads...

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer