Describing routes sensibly (was Re: [OSM-talk] Re: One way streets)

Simon Hewison simon at zymurgy.org
Tue May 16 22:16:59 BST 2006

Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> - At junction with the A1 and A1, turn left (A1).
> - At junction with the A1 and A1 in 0.05mi, turn left (A1).
> - At junction with the A1 and A1 in 9mi, turn left (A1).
> - At junction with the A1 and A1 in 0.05mi, turn left (A1).
>
> and so on. (That's the Stamford bypass, if it's not clear.)
> Topologically it makes perfect sense, but it's not very useful.
>
> When drawing roundabouts, then, what keys/values should we use to avoid
> this?

highway=roundabout
or maybe
highway=junction

The route describing code could then almost ignore the existence of the
roundabout, but if I was driving I'd like to see (or hear)

At Mill Hill Circus roundabout, take the 2nd exit, straight on, and
continue on the A1 for 870 metres.
At Apex Corner roundabout, take the 3rd exit, right, and continue on the
A1 for 2.4 kilometres.
At Stirling Corner roundabout, take the 2nd exit, straight on, and
continue on the A1 for 4.7 kilometres.

(Yes, I live in the UK, Yes, I'm used to metric, even if the road signs
aren't!)
--
Simon Hewison