[OSM-talk] Choice of GPS for bicycle use in London

Emil Vaughan emil79 at gmail.com
Sun May 21 12:28:04 BST 2006

Hi all, sorry if this has been done to death already on the list.

I live in london and cycle everywhere, so I need a small gps unit so
that I can contribute tracks. (Also if possible I'd like a compass and
barometric altimeter, though not at all costs.) I've been looking at
the Garmin Etrex (basic or Summit) or Gecko(1/2/301). The wiki says
that both are suitable for openstreetmap, but I'll need an RS232 to
USB cable. Are there any others worthy of consideration? And what is
the difference between the etrex and the gecko? It looks like the
gecko is smaller, but is it less useful? I don't want maps or
anything. USB would be nice though.

Also, I've got a Sharp Zaurus C3100, so I could use that with a USB or
compactflash GPS thing. This won't be as light as the Gecko, but if it
will make things much easier I can use it.

Sorry for asking about this. I've been researching the issue but I'm
not clear on what would be the best for osm, as this will probably be
the only thing I use it for.

Thanks
Emil