[OSM-talk] Choice of GPS for bicycle use in London

Christian van den Bosch cjb at cjb.ie
Mon May 22 12:05:27 BST 2006

Steve Chilton wrote:

> Your image doesn't make it clear whether you are using the official
> handlebar-mount from Garmin or not.
> Can you expand on the fixing? How robust is it on rough ground?
> I have a Trex which I was about to source the handlebar mount from
> someone to save carrying it on neck cord!

I use the official Garmin handlebar mount for my eTrex and it's pretty
good. Very, /very/ rarely, the GPS cuts out after a big bump (batteries
are a little loose in the battery compartment - packing some foam in
would probably fix that).

The Garmin mount is in two parts: one which you screw to the handlebars,
and the other which replaces the battery compartment cover on the GPS.
They have a mating slide-and-clip arrangement, which has worked well for
me on two bikes and two Garmins over several years.

Now, if only the GPSes themselves wouldn't lie... :-)

Christian / cjb

http://www.cjb.ie/