[OSM-talk] Choice of GPS for bicycle use in London

Barnett, Phillip Phillip.Barnett at itn.co.uk
Mon May 22 12:55:03 BST 2006

Correct.

-----Original Message-----
From: talk-bounces at openstreetmap.org
[mailto:talk-bounces at openstreetmap.org] On Behalf Of Martyn Welch
Sent: 22 May 2006 12:52
To: talk at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Choice of GPS for bicycle use in London

Hi all,

On Monday 22 May 2006 11:40, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> If you drive along the same streets as part of a "through journey" -
> in other words, in one side, across the city centre, and out again -
> it seems to perform much better. We got a fairly decent track of the
> A44 through Worcester yesterday, even though cycling the same route a
> few weeks ago had produced less than brilliant results.

If I remember correctly, GPS satelites are not geo-stationary, so the
exact number of visible satelites are likely to vary a little over time.
I guess this may have a strong effect on accuracy in highly built up
areas and would explain differing results at different times.

Martyn

P.s. I've only every used the GPS receiver I have now, so I guess I
can't say much in terms of how it performs compared to others, though I
have found the Bluetooth BT-77 unit I use (with logging software on my
Symbian-based phone) to be quite reliable. Well, the GPS unit anyway. -
MW

--

Martyn Welch (welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk)

PGP Key : http://ubicomp.lancs.ac.uk/~martyn/pgpkey/