[OSM-talk] Choice of GPS for bicycle use in London

Thomas Walraet thomas at walraet.com
Mon May 22 13:30:36 BST 2006

Nick Whitelegg a écrit :

>> Yes, and you can forecast how many satellites are going to be visible,
>> for example on this page :
>> http://mappinghacks.com/projects/gpscal/query.shtml
>
> It would be interesting if this site allowed past dates, so one could get
> an idea of whether particularly successful, mapping-wise, expeditions
> correlated to a large number of satellites visible.

It would also be interesting to specify a timezone (it's stuck in GMT-2).
This page is an example of the book "Mapping Hacks", so it's certainly
possible to study it and add those function.

My GPS unit (forerunner 201) doesn't display how many satellites are
visible, so this site is really usefull (I'm in town, so when there are
only 4-5 satellites above 25° it doesn't worth trying to map narrow streets)

As a side-note, I don't advise buying a Forerunner 201 for town mapping.
I just bought a Forerunner 305 (should have it in ~10 day) that should
be much better (SirfStarIII, more satellite info, could be turned to 1
point/second). I will give you my impression when I get it.

The forerunners are made to be worn as a watch, so there is no need for
bike mount (and for roller skating it's perfect). Minus are a small
screen and a lack of navigation functions.