[OSM-talk] Java and freedom

Robert Scott lists at riscott.ukfsn.org
Mon May 22 20:03:52 BST 2006

On Monday 22 May 2006 19:25, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> I do understand both your and David's points, but I suspect Free
> (libre/speech/GNU) is more of a priority for you. For me, it's more a
> matter of how I can do some OSM editing work with the least amount of
> hassle.

In the long term, ensuring the Free-ness of JOSM ( & by that I include it
running on a Free platform ) is the least-hassle path. Paying Apple Computer
Inc., a one-time fee for a specific version of Java will fix your problem for
one operating system version, one version of Java, and one architecture.
Change one of those, you're back to point A and you have to find your 'least
hassle' solution all over again.

JOSM being able to run on a Free toolchain will more or less allow seemless
free portability forever.

The GNU philosophy is not some insane abstract idealism - it's incredibly
practical. That's why people embrace it.

robert.