[OSM-talk] Java and freedom

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Mon May 22 22:24:14 BST 2006

Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> Sure. I have my own, widely-embraced beliefs too - some of them are
> listed at cofe.anglican.org, some at libdems.org.uk, some at
> realultimatepower.net - but I do accept that not everyone will agree
> with them.
>
> If GNU is the way for you then that's absolutely great. Let's just make
> sure that anyone who wants to contribute to OSM can do, regardless of
> the choices they've made elsewhere in life.

I think that the point Robert was making, paraphrased, and I agree with,
is that regardless of what my ideals may be, the solution to your
medium-term practical problem and many people in the same position as
you happens to be the same as the solution which would most satisfy my
stated ideals.

This is hardly suprising given that in this context, the nature of my
stated ideals are themselves inherently benevolent.