[OSM-talk] Java and freedom

Martyn Welch martyn at welchs.me.uk
Tue May 23 09:31:13 BST 2006

On Tuesday 23 May 2006 08:00, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> It's not. Target audience is "I just want something I can use without
> installation, config or downloads" - i.e. a second applet. Even on OS X
> 10.4 you have to configure the Mac to use Java 1.5 before you can run
> JOSM, and that's a technical step too far for many people.

So is using a GPS unit to log tracks, downloading this data to a computer and
uploading it to a website isn't? Given that in many instances you were likely
to have to install one piece of software in order to complete that task?
Installing java 1.5 to use one of many editing utilities for OSM doesn't seem
to me to be that onerous.

Unless of course you can't get java 1.5 for you platform, but that was very
close to one of the points Nick was making.

<rant>
At any rate, as has already been stated, the web-based applet is currently
compatible with java 1.4. This, if carefully written, should be compatible
with *most* modern computers with java installed, including those using the
open source JVMs. Creating another app using Flash seems likely to just yield
"yet another not fully featured OSM editor". I do not mean to belittle the
tremendous efforts that the current writers have gone too to create the
current apps (and I can't say I have used all of them nad I am thankful for
their wonderful contributions), just the effort could be better spent
improving the ones we have or at the very least finding a way to use one of
them.

Co-incidentally on many OSes and, depending on the version of flash you use
when writing a flash app, you will probably eventually end up in the same
predicament with OS X, requiring you to download a new version of flash.

To be picky - regardless of what technology you use to deliver the app, you
will end up downloading it. Whether that is a one-time deal (to install it)
or every time you visit a web-page.
</rant>

Martyn

--