[OSM-talk] Improving community within the OSM site

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Tue May 23 09:57:33 BST 2006

On 5/23/06, Etienne <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:
> To avoid exposing a real identity (well actually a real email address)
> the alias should be sent in place of the email address.  This is
> already defined for the tracks upload,

Yes you are right the "screenname" can be used, right now we have
three ways to identify someone; email, screenname, wikiuser. Is it
really that big of a deal to expose your email?

I did track "recent edits" for awhile, but stoped because of the
privacy concerns that were expressed. The recent edits did allow me to
see who edited near each other, it worked for regions as well but for
that to be usefull I would like the contour of Sweden.

So there are two issues
* publishing time/place for all edits in a usefull fashion yes/no?
* publishing email yes/no?

> The biggest problem is that exposing email addresses will attract
> spam, so everything needs to be referenced using an alias.

Don't see this as a problem, I get ~90 spam per month in my inbox, the
other 4560 I never see.  Though spam overload made me stop using email
for awhile in 2001.

--
/Erik