[OSM-talk] Re: Improving community within the OSM site

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Tue May 23 13:47:13 BST 2006

On 23/05/06, Ben Robbins <ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Would there Ever be the chance of having a forum set up, (php?) which has
> areas within, that are oragnised by location,

For the same reason that I think mediawiki will fall down with pages
organised by location, I don't personally think it would be a good
idea.

> as well as a central point
> where common questions can be discussed?
>
> At present I'm finding it very hard to filter through the mailing list
> emails for answers, and there is no community fealing within an email...
> Such a visual project should really communcatie through more than just text,
> i think.

A forum for newbies was proposed, and someone did set one up.  They
sent me the link to look at but unfortunately caught me at a busy
time.  I'll see if I can find it.

Let's not re-open the discussion about whether a web forum is a good
platform for help and discussion - enough of us think that it is, and
have volunteered to help look after one provided it has a newbie
orientation.  The mailing list is a silly place to discuss such a
thing, since if people don't like mailing lists but they would use a
forum, they aren't here :)

Tom.