[OSM-talk] Java and freedom

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Thu May 25 13:52:33 BST 2006

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> I have spent the last few months working with the GNU Classpath
> community, reporting bugs about errors detected by the OSM applet and
> the JOSM program, and am happy to report that progress has been made.
> I welcome help.

Petter, thank you for your huge effort to make openstreetmap available
to those using free software. I am glad this has started to bear fruit,
and delighted to help.

This effort not only makes the code available to free software, but
opens the possibility to build optimised binaries for multiple
platforms, including OSX. This added freedom will ultimately make it
unnecessary for users to pay a toll to Apple to access OSM.

Hopefully, as we move forward, we can maintain compatability with the
free software Java implementation. If SUN java has a sexy feature that
we'd like and doesn't yet appear in classpath, perhaps we can get that
feature working in classpath then once we have it working in classpath,
implement it in the applet or stand-alone editor.

Petter, do you see any problems in the short term converting the applet
into stand-alone static binary with GCJ? Making an optimised binary of
Josm for GNU/Linux, Windows and OSX with GCJ would be even better,
perhaps we can do that once we have Java 1.5 compatability.