osmeditor2 to Java, and a common Java OSM client library (was:Re: [OSM-talk] Java and freedom)

Martyn Welch martyn at welchs.me.uk
Thu May 25 17:00:34 BST 2006

On Thursday 25 May 2006 16:15, Tom Carden wrote:
> Offline editors are pointless given the current state of the OSM API.
> Until the *API* (and not each and every client) deals effectively with
> versioning and merging data, then offline clients are Broken As
> Designed.  The nicer the offline client, the longer you will spend
> using it, and the more likely conflicts between data will occur.

An interesting and important point that I had really not thought about. Now I
feel lucky to the only person hacking on Lancaster, UK :-)

> Oh, and I think that putting SVG output online so that people can see
> the fruit of their efforts will make the biggest contribution to OSM
> in the near future.

Thanks to who ever adding the Lancaster PNG by-the-way, much appreciated.

I guess also collecting raw data is up there as well ;-)

Martyn

--

Martyn Welch (welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk)

PGP Key : http://ubicomp.lancs.ac.uk/~martyn/pgpkey/