[OSM-talk] Residential areas

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Nov 3 14:16:38 GMT 2006

>>Therefore I believe that the abutters tag on highways should remain
without
>>deprecation. However I would agree that we should move away from colouring
>>landmass using the abutters tag in osmarender.
>
>I'm inclined to agree with this analysis, with one slight reservation.
> Removing the rendering of abutters from the Osmarender rules file will
> have a negative(*) effect until landuse areas are added to replace them.

This is silly. Encouraging people to use tags by documenting them, which you
then ignore!

If abutters are to be ignored, that should be documented, not left to
chance. ("Other renderers are possible" isn't a valid argument, because
those in the know will leave out abuttersif osmarender doesn't do them).

And if abutters are to be removed, then there needs to be some automation to
transfer the data to something that is, whether that is landuse or a tag on
ways, whatever.

The highway=residential rendering is ingrained and really must remain for an
effective map.

Changing the rules under our feet is BAD NEWS. It's a big enough task
collecting and marking uop the data without having to go back and review it
all again manually.

David