[OSM-talk] New Popular Edition in JOSM

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Sun Nov 12 20:48:22 GMT 2006

Ahoy,

On Sunday 12 November 2006 19:28, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> > But now I'm a bit worried. The tracks in my area don't align. (And no,
> > it's not changes to the street pattern!) If I move the NPE maps to align
> > on a key point, then they quickly diverge in all directions from the
> > point.
>
> I'd be surprised if it's that bad - maybe it's an issue with that
> particular NPE map. Earlier today I got good alignment in an approximately
> 5km x 5km area on one NPE tile, and 2km x 2km on another.

Just to say that I emailed Nick because I had the same problem in St Albans
when I very carefully align it in a particular area and it is completely off
not far from there:
http://tom.acrewoods.net/files/josm-npe.png

It happens in quite a small area, though it looks like a slight fold in the
paper might be partly to blame. It does also happen in small residential
areas, though, where some roads just seem wrong. Ah well, it's useful for
some things and looks really good, and I'm sure it's not a projection issue
on Nick's part since it would have to look obviously distorted if it were.

Regards,
Tom

--
The struggle against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting
 - Kundera