[OSM-talk] GPX tracing out of copyright maps

Mon Nov 13 17:30:04 GMT 2006

Nick H wrote:

> Given the map was published by George Philip & Sons Ltd, it would be fair to
> assume that company was first owner of copyright.
>
> This raises some questions:
> Is first owner of copyright presumed to be exclusive ownership of
> copyright for the cases of work passing out of copyright?
>
> Given that a company is immortal, are there alternative provisions for the
> term of copyright for items where the copyright is owned by the company? (If
> there were no alternative provisions, copyrights owned by companies
> may as  well never expire.)

As I read it (now), "first owner" and "authors" are completely, and
bizarrely, distinct.

For the Philips map:

- First owner = Philips Ltd.
- Authors = Mr Jones, Mr Smith and Mr Doe, i.e. Philips' cartographic staff.
- Map remains copyright of Philips (first owner) until 70 years after
the death of Mr Jones, Mr Smith or Mr Doe.

That suggests that the best way for any company to maximise the length
of copyright protection is to employ five-year olds to make tiny
corrections to their maps, thereby ensuring around 140 years of
protection.

This is clearly a very silly law. Please someone tell me I've got it wrong.

cheers
Richard