[OSM-talk] Places website update

matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Tue Nov 14 01:49:34 GMT 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 01:18:45AM -0000, Robert Hart wrote:
> > Oops... So I moved the Loughborough "place name" node to the side of
> the
> > town so
> > that the label doesn't obscure the map... and then of course the map
> > doesn't fit
>
> I think the place name node should be at the centre of the place.
> Preferably at whatever point is normally used to calculate road distance
> to the place from elsewhere.

Yes, I agree, and did this at the beginning, until I couldn't see the roads that
I was mapping because they were hidden by the name.

The best idea would probably be for the renderer to be able to automagically
move te place name (within the place area, if it exists) to obscure as little as
possible. I assume that on most maps this is done by hand, but it would be quite
a difficult machine task (with balancing road names and other stuff, too).

Thanks

--
Matthew