[OSM-talk] Red and green routes

Simon Hewison simon at zymurgy.org
Tue Nov 21 09:59:44 GMT 2006

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Primary routes are those A roads which are signed in green, including
> trunk routes. These are marked in green on most maps. See http://
> www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs06.htm for citation.
>
> 'Secondary' A-roads are those which are signed in black/white. These
> are marked in red on most maps. FWIW I believe these are strictly
> called non-primary, but secondary follows logically on from primary
> and seems a logical shorthand.
>
> For B-roads and minor/unclassified we agree on the colouring.

To add further to the confusion, there are "Red routes" in cities like
London, which are maintained by the Regional assembly (e.g. Transport for
London) rather than the local borough councils. These are also marked as
green on Ordnance Survey maps. They have fiercely enforced waiting
restrictions, marked with red lines on the road (enforced by real Police
traffic wardens - whose job it is to keep traffic flowing freely, rather
than the usual parking attendants - whose job it is to rake in money from
parking fees).

Within London, I've been using highway=trunk to denote these "Red Routes",
since these are also deemed to be of strategic importance.

--
Simon Hewison