[OSM-talk] Route/flight tag

Robert (Jamie) Munro rjmunro at arjam.net
Tue Nov 28 11:58:40 GMT 2006

Paul Youlten wrote:
> I noticed that there is a "Route/flight" tag on the Map Features page.
>
> Just by chance I am flying from London Gatwick to Alicante (Spain)
> tomorrow evening and was thinking of tracking the flight (2hrs 15 mins)
> with my GPS receiver. I will try to get a window seat and put my
> receiver against it - maybe cover the LEDs with tape (don't want to
> worry the flight crew)... Has anyone else tried this? hints? tips?

I've tried it briefly, on a flight to Rome from the UK. It works. Please
don't upload the tracks to OpenStreetMap, though. They will just look
like a road and that will confuse people.

Robert (Jamie) Munro

Ps. Something kind of related that I did was screen-scrape the progress
of the Virgin Global Flyer when it flew 1.5 times around the world, and
plot it in Google earth in 3d. The result is at
http://www.arjam.net/flyer.kmz