[OSM-talk] Russia free for the taking

Robert (Jamie) Munro rjmunro at arjam.net
Tue Nov 28 12:56:04 GMT 2006

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Lars wrote:
>
>> The current tile renderer doesn't render anything for simple line
>> segments, that have no ways or attributes, so these roads will
>> remain invisible.
>
> Was there ever a decision on a way tag such as "status=unfinished" (or
> "untagged", or whatever), which would enable roads like this to show up?

The problem I find with working on other people's traces(*) comes before
that - I don't know which segments of a road constitute a way. For
example, if there is a 90 degree turn, does the road have a bend (in
which case start a new way), or does it continue (in which case continue
the same way). It's also possible that a way needs to end and a new one
start in a straight line, where a road name or type changes. I can't see
from the GPS data what I am supposed to do.

I think a solution needs to be found to show non-way'd segments on the
slippy map in some form, so that people who know the area but don't have
the equipment (or just the time or inclination) to track the roads
themselves can connect the ways and add the road names.

It would be great if http://labs.metacarta.com/osm/ could be extended to
create merge and split ways right in the slippy map interface, as well
as to name them.

I was thinking that the current "ways" model doesn't really work that
well. Perhaps a system of grouping segments into ways that overlap is a
better solution, so rather than tag a way as "Motorway" or "one-way" or
"M25" or "London Road" whatever, just add all the tags in it to the
"Motorway" or "one-way" or "M25" or "London Road" group. Discontinuities
and overlapping will be entirely allowed, because that is how the real
world is. Anyway, that's a thought for a future project, once the new
slippy map stuff that is currently demoed all over the place is all
stable and working.

Robert (Jamie) Munro

* I've been working on some of the ASTL data that has been uploaded
covering the North East of England. I'm not from the area, but I do have
relatives there, and I've been starting near their house, where I know,
but have quickly reached lots of data for place I don't know. I've made
loads of segments, but joining them into ways is really hard.