[OSM-talk] Prolification of the amenity tag

Ben Robbins ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 11:33:01 GMT 2006

>For starters a (maybe) trivial conclusion : we do not want to tag
>everything that has a location (even if we could). So the question
>is where do we draw the line?

A map is a visual representaiton of an area.  When you say 'we do not want
to', That may cover the mass, but this is 'open' streetmap, wich is Open in
more sences than just the source shorley.

>My take on it is that we should try to tag everything that is needed
>to find your way....amenities="wifi", ="park_ride", ="clinic" etc don't
>share
>that purpose.

What is 'needed' though?  If I'm using the map to find the clinic, then to
see the clinic on the map is definatly needed, and the same to the others.
If it is put in a open yellowpages, which aims to diplay its content in as
clearer way as openstreetmap, then it will in itself be another openmap.  If
its just a list with coordinate links to osm, then it would just be part of
the same project, so why not include it?

For Refused proposals and agreeed proposals I created a page for discussions
to go once the voting is complete.  All old discussions can go into there,
under the succesful or unsuccesful headings.

I think the answer isnt just to shunt away what the mass, or even
influencial individuals, see as uninportant, but to have different groups of
data.  So when I add the bubblegum tags, which I'm glad to see theres a keen
interest in, it is uploaded into a sub data area for things that are only
inportant when not driving/walking or whatever.   In the online viewer
layers could turn on/off the clutter.   When I wish to drive, or edit where
I drove, from a to b, I only want to see and download roads, For Walking its
paths, For hiking I may need topographic data etcetc.

I think these groups need to be differnciated between so that at somepoint
wich is getting ever closer, Planet.osm becomes insainly huge, and yet only
small fractions of it are needed for each person.

Ben