[OSM-talk] Prolification of the amenity tag

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Wed Nov 29 19:25:20 GMT 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 04:25:51PM +0000, 80n wrote:
> The current ratio of maps to renderers is about 0.0000001:3 ;-)  We have
> about 0.0000001% of the planet mapped.  There are three renderers available
> on the OSM front page (Mapnik, Osmarender, Mapnik WMS-C), and I am sure
> there are others.
>
> What is unrealistic about a ratio of say 1:1000?

I am not following you there? Maps to renderes? We are barely able
to render 0.00001% of the planet 3 times. So we are certainly not
able to render 100% of the planet a multitude of times like you
seem to propose?

> Most mashups of geo data that I have seen comprise a pre-rendered base map
> (usually Google maps or similar) with another dataset overlayed on top.  I
> think this is what most people imagine when talking about mashups.

Yes.

> The opportunity to access the source geodata in OSM enables multiple
> datasets to be merged before rendering.  Whether the data comes from OSM or
> somewhere else is unimportant - the ability to merge it before rendering
> *is* important.  A very easy way to achieve that is to store both datasets
> in OSM, using tag prefixes, if neccessary, to keep them separate and
> managable.

Why is this important? What extra possibilities does this give?
And isn't it more important to be able to
do a query like "give me all the banks that have a foreign-cash
exchange service in Rotterdam", which would be more convenient to
implement if the datasets are kept seperate.

cu bart