[OSM-talk] Getting co-ordinates from OSM (was Re: Prolification of the amenity tag)

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 19:11:36 GMT 2006

On 11/29/06, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:

> b) unless you start trying to recreate a map, we don't think you've
> created a derived work, so we're cool with what you're doing

Minutiae (and facts) aside,  I prefer the intentions of b). I could bandy
around the term "fair use"; if they are only using a small part of the
dataset - e.g. 20,000 geolocations (of wifi points? :-P ) out of the
staggering size of the database, that seems reasonable to me. I'd prefer
that people didn't have completely free reign to take the entire world db
and not help us with anything in return.