[OSM-talk] Prolification of the amenity tag

Ben Robbins ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 30 02:03:45 GMT 2006

>None of the online maps that I know give a route description in terms of
>"go past the bakers" Not even those that have that information...  And
>for a very good reason : a baker might not always be as easily
>recognizable (for example because it is dark).

1) I was refering to people giving you directions, maybe if you pulled over
to ask them, or maybe just on an invitation.
2) Indeed it might not 'always' be as easily recognizable, but Frequently it
would be. Dark could stop you seeing/recogining anything, so that doesnt
really applie only to basic building tags.
3) Are we just intending to copy all online map companys? or can we think
independently...

>Someone needs to put that location in osm in the first place. Why not place
>it in yellowiki instead?

Because I use osm, and don't particually want to be working in 2 places at
once.  That just my opion though, some poeple may see that as little concern

>No, it would come for example from fon.com which will always be more up
>to date than what could be in osm.
>You are aware that the pick up area of a wifi hotspot is not static?

I'm not very knowledgeble on the matter, but there must be some spots that
can be gaanteed to be in the wifi zone, as I am currently on one, and it is
perminent.  When I walk the other side of the hill I can't get it ever.
Therfore the line will fall between.   Is Fon.com a wiki?   If not then
saying we shouldnt tag wifi areas as there shown on there would be the same
as saying we shouldnt make maps cause OS does.   If it is a wiki, then the
same argument applies to that of the baker/bucher.  On osm it may just state
its a wifi, and then to find more infomation that isnt visual you would look
on the speicific page.

Stating that something is pointless wouild just mean people may not want to
be using it.  Pointless is very different to deconstructive.  Therefore I
don't think thats any reason for you to vote against it, so that a tag may
not be made standaised for people that may wish to 'pointlessly' use it.  As
it is you are free not to use a tag, you don't need to stop others
using/making tags, to enable you not to use it.

Ben