[OSM-talk] Speeding

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 08:48:43 GMT 2006

Just because you're paranoid, Scott...

Indeed, this is a real concern and one that is taken seriously by the OSM
admin.  When you upload a track, you can select "Public".  This allows other
users to see your traces using a URL like:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/traces/user/Nickb

If you do not check the "Public" box, your traces cannot be seen to the
public.  Traces need to be tagged with a particular user because of
copyright issues.  A malicious individual could traces a road off google
maps, convert it to GPX and upload it.  OSM needs a way to remove all of
this users traces in such an event.  Individual privacy is also considered,
which is why all data in planet.osm is anonymysed.

Am I wrong in thinking that there is a script floating around that fiddles
with the GPX timestamps to prevent deriving speed anyway?

Nickb

On 11/30/06, Scott <scott at waye.co.uk> wrote:

> Are gpx traces loaded anonymously?  The reason behind this question might
> seem paranoid but government can be right bastards sometimes.  From the
> gpx traces you can get speeds and if they have a user against them you
> could get accused of speeding.
>

> Disclaimer:  I never speed of course.

Nick Black
http://www.blairclock.com