[OSM-talk] Speeding

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 30 09:07:58 GMT 2006

Scott wrote:
>Sent: 30 November 2006 8:37 AM
>To: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [OSM-talk] Speeding
>
>Are gpx traces loaded anonymously?  The reason behind this question might
>seem paranoid but government can be right bastards sometimes.  From the
>gpx traces you can get speeds and if they have a user against them you
>could get accused of speeding.

If you mark the gpx file as private then nobody can look at the track in
terms of speed identification. However in reality just because I upload a
track to OSM which is found to have speeds exceeding a given limit does not
mean I was either driving the vehicle or that the equipment was accurate,
therefore it's very unlikely that the police could or would bother to bring
a persecution for speeding. If on the other had you knocked over an old lady
on a crossing in the process they might be a little more interested.

Cheers

Andy