[OSM-talk] Street Tagging in JOSM

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Tue Oct 3 15:22:18 BST 2006

Hi all,

I'm glad that I was able to enter lots of Tracks and segments of my
hometown during the last weeks, so it isn't a blank place in osm.org
anymore :) .
I even played with osmarenderer and it worked great. It's fun to see the
streets you have been collecting.
To make the segments appear, I have to create ways of them. I use JOSM
and it works very well. I even like the fact that I can select multiple
ways at once and can assign them tags.
What I find a bit problematic for users with less tech background is the
fact that one needs to assign values by typing them in. This requires
that the user knows the valid values, the user may mistype values and
last but not least for me as a german I have to struggle with the
translation of the english values ("What the heck is a motorway?!?"
"What the heck is a residential way?!?" etc.).

So I was wondering if JOSM could (besides the tags palette) offer an
additional palette which allows a more easy assignment of the most
common tags. Maybe a palette which offers a popup for the street type
some checkboxes for boolean values (»One way« or restrictions etc.) and
a line edit for speed limitations.

Any comments?

ce