[OSM-talk] wikiproject rail?

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Oct 3 17:40:36 BST 2006

Ahoy,

On Tuesday 03 October 2006 17:20, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> Agreed here. OSM shouldn't try to be all things to all people; what it
> should do is try to integrate well with various external data sources
> (eg in the rendering stage) and be a good base for physical mapping data.

I think everyone would benefit at this point from an exercise in defining what
counts as "core" OSM data, so we know what should probably go elsewhere.

Even with that, though, OSM is going to be in a bit of a bind. I want to
collect complete info on bus routes, recycling points and other things that
people might consider out of OSM's scope. But where am I to put this? I don't
have the time, money or skills to start up a mashup project that integrates
with OSM so I am left with a choice: collect it in a text file on my
computer, or stick it in OSM anyway.

Unless an agreed definition of core data is agreed on, and there is some way
of stopping plonkers like me from adding more and more extraneous data
(whether to the db or to the map features page), the database is just going
to fill up with all sorts of crap :)

As a practical point, without editorial controls or an easy way to start
mashups, the OSM is probably going to get that data whether people like it or
not.

Regards,
Tom

--
The struggle against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting
 - Kundera