[OSM-talk] wikiproject rail?

Wed Oct 4 12:40:51 BST 2006

Quoting Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net>:

> On Tuesday 03 October 2006 23:08, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
>> As was said in an earlier post today if we can get a package to allow
>> people to deploy a read-only, rendering-orientated version of OSM on their
>> own servers, and use an API like openlayers, all it should take to set up a
>> mashup is the ability to install some software on a server, tweak a config
>> file and - perhaps more advanced but necessary for Google mashups too -
>> some JavaScript coding.
>
> That's far too much work for me, and completely incomprehensible to some
> people who I know got interested in OSM through me :-)

Is that a problem, though?

I mean, yes, it's probably somewhere between too much work and
incomprehensible for me too (especially as these sort of things are
generally tested solely on a Linux distribution of some sort and
squeak out various errors if you have the temerity to use them on OS X).

So there's a need for a newbie-friendly map mashup service using OSM
data. That's not to say it needs to be hosted on or developed by
openstreetmap.org.

OSM should be the centre of a whole free mapping ecosystem - not try
to be the entire ecosystem itself.

cheers
Richard